A simple healthy lifestyle is NOT possible without a good diet.
I’ve delayed bringing up diet in our guide of a simple healthy lifestyle. And that’s because most people have taken diet and exercise to be the only key elements of a simple healthy lifestyle.
More on these elements and others will be covered soon.
But in this post, we’ll look at how diet is a requirement to enjoying a simple healthy lifestyle.
What is diet?
I have to be honest with you. I’m not even going to pretend I know more about diet than the fact that it’s the kind of food we eat on a daily basis.
That’s it. That’s all I know.
I have very little understanding of the fad diets that are going on around. I’ll admit though, there was a time I bothered to learn about them, and try them.
But they felt unnatural and complicated, and only gave me short-term results. And I’m all about a simple healthy lifestyle that gives lifelong results.
So I ditched all of these fads and stuck to what I knew, which is:
In order to enjoy a simple healthy lifestyle where diet is concerned, we have to eat clean.
And what does eating clean mean?
- Ditching processed foods
- Eating organic foods
- Eating tons of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Not overeating
- Drinking lots of water
- Cutting back on unhealthy fats, sugar and salt
- Cutting back on caffeine and alcohol
- Cultivating a healthy relationship with food. That includes avoiding stress-eating
I could list a lot of things. But in a nutshell, eating healthy is all about listening to your body. And to tell the truth, that’s ONLY what you should concern yourself with.
But people have complicated what was supposed to be a simple healthy lifestyle by buying into these fads that only lead to disappointments.
I hope you are sipping some water as you read this. And incorporating it into your meals.
So, as soon as I told myself I was going to stick to the basics, I was fine. And I actually accomplished what I was looking for: a simple healthy lifestyle.
But I bet you’ve seen all those people on YouTube who eat tons of fresh fruits and vegetables and all the so-called healthy food. And I bet you thought: I can’t afford that.
You’re right. I’ve seen those videos too. And I have to admit, eating healthy doesn’t seem simple at all.
The gruesome prices of these healthy foods in some stores!
But I’m here to offer you a solution.
Many of these bloggers are promoting some of these stores, so they have to talk about them and convince you to buy from them.
So then, is it possible to eat healthy and not have to spend a lot of money?
Absolutely yes! Like I said, don’t worry about money. A simple healthy lifestyle has existed since before people worried about their bank balances.
If you haven’t been eating healthy because you think you don’t have extra money to spend on healthy food, then consider this:
- Take all that money you’ve been spending on McDonald’s and buy healthy food instead. And chances are, McDonald’s isn’t the only unhealthy food you’ve been spending your money on.
- So, divert all that money toward clean food, and you’ll start reaping the benefits of a simple healthy lifestyle immediately.
- Obviously not all your food has been unhealthy. Still, instead of buying lots of rice and meat, buy smaller and put the rest of the money toward fruits and vegetables to help that rice and meat.
- I’m sure you have a backyard you can grow vegetables in, or a window sill you can put vegetable pots on, so go on and grow your own vegetables.
- Go to farmers’ markets, buy what is in season.
So, don’t be swayed by the people you see who make enjoying a simple healthy lifestyle complicated. A simple healthy lifestyle was meant to be just that: SIMPLE.
Again, ignore whatever and whoever makes you think eating healthy is complicated.
That’s the main reason why I stopped watching ‘What I eat in a day’ videos. I won’t talk much about that here though. I will dedicate an entire post to it soon.
Anyway, I might be stepping on toes when I say this, but I found these videos misleading and quite dangerous for the following reasons:
- I saw people who promote eating very little. People who promote eating habits that leave you unsatisfied and lethargic. I know because I tried them.
- Some bloggers even go as far as dreaming about the food they crave. They say they think about food all the time. Which to me isn’t normal.
Is it possible they think about food nonstop because they are starving themselves?
I mean, when did healthy eating become so complicated?
Have some rice, have some bread and all those other carbs people are warning you against. Remember one thing: Moderation is key and they won’t hurt you as long as they are part of a balanced diet.
It’s that simple.
So what am I saying exactly?
Don’t blindly follow the herd. Don’t be the kind of person who becomes gluten intolerant just because Kourtney Kardashian is. Stop depriving yourself and start living.
As long as you ditch unprocessed foods, eat organic, eat in moderation, including tons of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet and drinking a lot of water, then your diet is on the right track.
And remember, while diet is very important, it’s only part of a simple healthy lifestyle. So don’t nurture it and ignore the other key elements.
Thank you for reading this post. I have a lot more to say about diet, so keep checking this blog. Now is the time for you to share your valuable thoughts with us. What does diet mean to you and how do you incorporate it into your journey of a simple healthy lifestyle?