Do you want to serve God but don’t know how to go about it? So many of us love God and want to do everything we can to spread the good news about him. And yet we find ourselves stuck because we are not pastors or ministers and don’t work anywhere near the church.
The two main questions are: can only pastors and ministers and those who work in the church serve God or can every one of us do it? If we can, then how do we go about it?
I’m about to share the answers to those two questions, so keep reading.
We’ve already established the significance of spirituality in enjoying a simple healthy lifestyle. Revisit that here.
Honestly, I don’t know how people who don’t acknowledge God can actually claim to live a fulfilling life. What is life without God? Because that to me is just impossible. Everything I do, I do for the honor and glory of God. The life that I live, I live for him. While death used to scare me, now it doesn’t because when I die, I finally get to be with him.
Ok, now on to addressing those two questions.
Can everyone serve God and how do we go about it?
Absolutely. Anyone can serve God. In fact everyone should serve God. It doesn’t matter your age, gender, color, background, profession. Anybody can serve God and everyone should.
Somehow we’ve adopted this mentality that only ministers and pastors and people working in the church can serve God. But that doesn’t make any sense. Because then we are limiting God to only the church. In other words we are saying outside of church, he doesn’t exist, and that’s not true at all.
Ministers and pastors and people working in the church serve God, but so must everyone else.
- Wait, you say. But I’m just an elementary school teacher. How can I serve God? By working hard and to best of your ability. Teach those kids everything they need to learn. Nurture them so they can grow up to become the kind of leaders we want to have.
Minister to them about God. You are teaching them everything else; Math, Science, Physical Education, so why not teach them about God? Because frankly, especially in this day and age, we need to hear about God more than we do about everything else.
- If you are a nurse or a doctor, you have patients you need to nurse back to health. Patients who need to hear about the healing that’s already been made available to them by our God. You need to minister to them and let them know they have the right as children of God, to get out of that hospital bed and march home in perfect health.
- If you are a janitor, you should do your job well. Make your surroundings immaculate for those who work in them. Do your job with love. Talk to others about God and share your thoughts and experiences with them.
- If you are a student, you have a responsibility to share with your fellow students the matters of God. Encourage each other to love and honor God as you go along in your studies.
- If you are a prison guard, minister to those in prison. They need hope that their incarceration is not the end of their lives. Make them see that they too can minister to others and encourage each other to become better people who will serve God and carry forward his name.
The word of God is not limited to those who work in the church. It’s everyone’s duty to spread it all around the world so that those left behind can hear it and turn to God.
I don’t care who you are and what you do. You have as much obligation to spread the word of God as you do to hear it. If you have free access to the bible to read to yourself, then it means you also have free access to read it out loud to others.
The way I see it, we’ve burdened ministers and pastors and those who work in the church with spreading the word of God. We are doing nothing to help these people because somehow we feel like it’s not our duty. When things go wrong at the church, or when a pastor falls, we tend to distance ourselves from him or her and make sarcastic remarks about them supposedly being a servant of God.
In other words, we join the world in mocking a servant who despite being a flawed human being, is trying to educate us about God. We think it’s OK for us to just sit there and judge them, not realizing that their falling is partly our fault because we are not helping them the same way they are helping us.
So where do I go from here?
- The first thing you need to do is realize that you are a child of God, and children speak well of their parents. So you have to do the same: speak well of God every chance you get.
- Then realize that to best serve God, before you even open your mouth to anyone about him, you have to serve him internally. Give your body, soul and mind to him.
- Then let him show in your work, whatever you do. Lawyer, prison inmate, librarian, stay at home mom or dad, every profession, every occupation. Do your work as if you are doing it for God himself, because you are. Let others benefit from your work.
- Now, open your mouth and teach those around you about God. You don’t have to claim to know everything. We are all students in matters of God. Say what you know so others can also say what they know. Then together you can encourage each other to become the best children of God.
The final word
God is your entire life. He’s your creator, the creator of everything. Most importantly, he adores you and wants the best possible life for you. Realize that as a child of God, you can enjoy a simple healthy lifestyle he destined for you to enjoy, and share his good news with everyone around you.
Thank you for reading this post. What is your occupation? How do you serve God in it? Please let us know in the comments below.
Also read this wonderful post on this topic.